Recently, our Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi was in Ufa Russia for the SCO meet and there was lot of chaos in media and all political parties about the long awaited meeting of PM Narendra Modi and the Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif.
Let us throw some light on this issue to understand that why India was so keen to become a member of SCO.
History of SCO
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation or Shanghai Pact was formed on 26 April 1996 and its headquarters is at Beijing,China.It is a political,economic and military organisation which was founded in Shanghai by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan,and Uzbekistan.
After the inclusion of Uzbekistan in 2001 the renamed themselves as Shanghai Six.
The decision to include India, along with Pakistan, as permanent members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) has been announced during the SCO Summit (9-10 July) at Ufa, Russia. The process for formal inclusion into SCO will take place in 2016.
They are the observer state currently.
Objective of SCO
- Strengthen relations among member nations.
- promote cooperation in political affairs, economics and trade, scientific-technical, cultural, and educational spheres as well as in energy, transportation, tourism, and environmental protection.
- safeguard regional peace, security, and stability; and (v) create a democratic, equitable international political and economic order. (credits: official website)
So what if India becomes the member of SCO?
- India’s relations with central Asian countries will strengthen.
- China and Pakistan as we all know has strong friendship and ties now had to solve the Border issue with India.
- With both India and Pakistan joining SCO there are great chances of starting of long pending projects like Iran-Pakistan-India oil pipeline and the proposed project between Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India has been stalled may finally take off.
- Everybody knows that US supports Pakistan and China is it’s Financial and Diplomatic mentor because of this India always feels cornered out.But with the emergence of SCO Pakistan will lower down it’s bad attitude towards India and with the pressure from China and Russia it will work mutually with India and resolve outstanding issues.
With the emergence of SCO, Asia is on its way of reclaim its status as a global power center that it once was and India will have a major role to play.
I would also say that SCO can be an answer to the US led NATO that Asians are now emerging and maybe as the next Superpower.